(orginally posted on 19 July 2009. Edited to embed links :) Yeah, I finally saw the button to do so.)
I have been on Twitter for a while, but it was only this year that I got it and got hooked. My time to 'reconnect' with Twitter occurred a week or two before the death of a sweet young girl Maddie. Her parents, Heather and Mike, are bloggers who have gone thru something that no one should have to endure.
I had heard arguments about the coldness of the web and how we are disconnecting from our neighbors. What I witnessed after Maddie's death has further proved to me that community is where we make it. There was so much love and support for the Spohrs at that time 3 months ago ... and there still is. Heather and Mike recently started a charity 'Friends of Maddie' with the mission "... to provide support to the families of critically ill babies in an effort to help ease the transition into NICU life and to be an ally until the end of their child’s hospital stay." (from http://friendsofmaddie.org/)
I really don't know what I should say now (and honestly, I should get off the computer -- for family, i have only been on for 10 minutes) but once I figured how to place a button on my blog, I wanted to the button for 'Friends of Maddie' on my blog. I am honored to put the button on my blog. I am proud to be a Friend of Maddie.
I had heard arguments about the coldness of the web and how we are disconnecting from our neighbors. What I witnessed after Maddie's death has further proved to me that community is where we make it. There was so much love and support for the Spohrs at that time 3 months ago ... and there still is. Heather and Mike recently started a charity 'Friends of Maddie' with the mission "... to provide support to the families of critically ill babies in an effort to help ease the transition into NICU life and to be an ally until the end of their child’s hospital stay." (from http://friendsofmaddie.org/)
I really don't know what I should say now (and honestly, I should get off the computer -- for family, i have only been on for 10 minutes) but once I figured how to place a button on my blog, I wanted to the button for 'Friends of Maddie' on my blog. I am honored to put the button on my blog. I am proud to be a Friend of Maddie.

0 comments:
Post a Comment